Senior Fire Protection Engineer - Chicago, IL - Dearborn, MI - Indianapolis, IN
Provide fire protection and suppression systems design for new construction and/or renovations of industrial or commercial structures as required by code and/or requested by building owner/agent and authority having jurisdiction. Experience should include designs for aviation projects, aircraft hangars, government buildings, hospitals, hotels, institutional and military projects.
Develop construction drawings and specifications which address the installation, interconnection and control of fire protection components within the standard building codes.
- Specific knowledge and experience with fuel fire suppression, commercial or military aircraft hangar fire protection systems and NFPA 409.
- Possess / demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the fundamentals of fire protection design, including suppression systems and fire alarms.
- Develop and establish project scope, fire protection budget, necessary constraints and design approach with project manager and/or client.
- Proper communication skills to be involved in design team / owner meetings and communicate directly with the owner and / or owner’s representative.
- Develop feasibility studies and project cost estimates.
- Designs large fire pump system applications.
- Develop foam suppression systems where required.
- Designs clean agent suppression systems in both small and large data rooms.
- Maintains working knowledge of latest IFC (International Fire Code), and NFPA requirements.
- Create engineering documents using computer aided design (CAD) technology utilizing Autodesk (Revit and AutoCAD) software (2D and 3D applications).
- Develops hydraulic calculations for fire protection piping systems using Hydracad software.
- Edit or draft project specifications.
- Conduct field measuring and checking at the construction site.
- Review drawings for omissions, errors, overall quality, content accuracy, compliance with standards and codes.
- Review product submittals for design content (shop drawings), specify action to be taken to reach specification compliance.
- Maintain organized project file containing project calculations, correspondence, appropriate reference materials, etc.
- Prepare project file updates, transmittals, letters, reports, requests for reproduction services.
- Assist with checking, standards review, and maintenance of master specifications.
- Perform production and quality monitoring of construction documents per company standards individually and or for less experienced staff.
- Develop and mentor less experienced staff.
- Review and stamp construction documents.
- Coordinate mechanical trade efforts with other disciplines.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree Fire Protection Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Professional Engineering Registration required, FPE preferred.
- NICET III or IV Fire Protection, National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies a plus.
- CFPS Certified Fire Protection Specialist a plus.
- 10 + years or more related and progressively more responsible experience in fire protection systems design.
Proficient with HydroCad, Autodesk (Revit, AutoCAD), MS Word and Excel software applications.
To apply for this position, click here.
It is Ghafari Associates, L.L.C.’s policy not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a qualified individual with a disability or a protected veteran, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance.